Slider
Slider

|

Slider

Shawn Appleby to appeal parole revocation

Local
Typography
  • Smaller Small Medium Big Bigger
  • Default Helvetica Segoe Georgia Times

SHAWN C. Appleby will file an administrative appeal following the decision of the CNMI Board of Parole to revoke his parole  two weeks ago.

Assistant Public Defender Jean Pierre Nogues, who represents Appleby, said in an email to Variety on Monday: “We are very disappointed with the outcome of the final parole revocation hearing, and we will be appealing the decision via administrative appeal.”

The decision is also, ultimately, reviewable through a habeas petition in Superior Court, Nogues added.

Appleby initially filed a complaint in Superior Court naming Department of Corrections Commissioner Wally Villagomez and CNMI Board of Parole Chairman Ramon B. Camacho as defendants. 

Appleby alleged violations of due process and denial of legal representation in the proceedings.

He wanted the court to issue an order to stop the revocation hearing scheduled for July 10 at the Gov. Pedro P. Tenorio Multi-Purpose Center.

But Presiding Judge Roberto C. Naraja denied Appleby’s request.

 

A file photo shows  Shawn Appleby, right, with Assistant Public Defender Jean Pierre Nogues. Photo by Bryan Manabat

Appleby also filed a petition for writ of habeas corpus “to determine the true reason for his detention.”

“So far, the current pending habeas petition has focused on the parole preliminary hearing,” Nogues said, “but all parties will likely be making arguments in regards to how the final revocation hearing affects the pending habeas petition.”

The Board of Parole has found that on March 24, Appleby engaged in criminal conduct by committing the crimes of assault and battery and disturbing the peace by hitting parolee Laraad Ramangmou three times on her side while in their house and then chasing her down the street and pushing her to the ground.

Appleby served about 26 years of his 40-year sentence for killing Byung Ok Suh in Nov. 1996 after robbing the victim’s store in San Antonio. In 1999 and 2007, Appleby was convicted for escape, adding two more years to his 40-year sentence.

Despite the opposition of the  Office of the Attorney General, Appleby’s parole application was granted in Sept. 2019.

He was also granted parole in Feb. 2011, but it was revoked in Dec. 2012 after he violated its conditions.

Today, Tuesday, at 1:30 p.m., a status conference will be held before Judge Kenneth L. Govendo regarding the pending domestic violence charge against Appleby.

previous arrow
next arrow
Shadow
Slider

Read more articles

Visit our Facebook Page

previous arrow
next arrow
Shadow
Slider