Slider
Slider

|

Slider

Defendant in sexual assault says he was also assaulted

Local
Typography
  • Smaller Small Medium Big Bigger
  • Default Helvetica Segoe Georgia Times

THE suspect in a sexual assault incident in San Vicente last year told police that he was also a victim of an assault.

This and the extent of his injury were disclosed at the bail hearing on Wednesday. No other details were available as of press time Thursday.

The suspect, who will turn 17 this November, was charged by the Office of the Attorney General with sexual assault, assault with a dangerous weapon, strangulation, and burglary.

Chief Prosecutor John Bradley said that it will be up to the Superior Court whether the juvenile will be tried as an adult “after an evaluation and hearing.”

Last year, the Department of Public Safety reported two incidents in San Vicente that happened on June 2, 2019: a “home invasion” and a “disturbance.”

DPS said a woman was seriously hurt in the home invasion incident.

In a press statement, DPS stated that “the female victim fought back as the suspect struck the victim several times before she lost consciousness.”

Once the victim regained consciousness, she called 911 for assistance, and was later taken to the hospital, DPS added.

The father of the victim told Variety that “his adult daughter was sleeping and was alone at the house when the incident happened.”

As for the disturbance incident, DPS stated that a minor lost consciousness after being struck with a hard object.

DPS said police officers were on their way to the house of the sexual assault victim when an individual who was walking along the road flagged down the officers.

According to DPS, the individual stated that he was walking toward the store when he was struck with an object that knocked him out.

The chief prosecutor said the delay in the arrest of the juvenile suspect in the home invasion case was due to the DNA process testing by the Federal Bureau of Investigation at its lab in Quantico.

Superior Court Associate Judge Joseph N. Camacho on Wednesday imposed a $250,000 cash bail on the suspect who was remanded to the juvenile detention facility.

He was ordered to return to court for a preliminary hearing on June 17, at 10 a.m. and on June 22 at 3 p.m. for his arraignment.

Assistant Attorney General Samantha Vickery represented the government while the court appointed the Public Defender’s Office to represent the juvenile suspect.

 

 

previous arrow
next arrow
Shadow
Slider

Read more articles

Visit our Facebook Page

previous arrow
next arrow
Shadow
Slider